round the turn of the last century, a group of men from the Reformed and Christian Reformed Churches recognized a need for compassionate care for senior members of their congregations. On May 29, 1895 they met to lay the legal foundation of a soon to be established home that would provide long term care for aging members of the community. The Holland Christian Home Association of Paterson, NJ was formally incorporated on August 14, 1895.
Between the date of incorporation and the end of 1898, a two story building was
constructed on Iowa Ave in Paterson. The building was expanded twice – once in 1904
when several rooms and a meeting hall were added and in 1922 when additional
residential rooms were added.
In the mid-1950's it was known that the construction of Interstate Highway 80 would
traverse the Iowa Ave site, necessitating a move to a new location. Seven and a half
acres of land were found in North Haledon. On October 15, 1960 a building was
dedicated at the new site. The nursing unit was added in 1965 and between 1968 and
1969 a major expansion was completed, which included resident rooms and the chapel.
The administration wing was added in 1972, and additional acres of land adjacent to the
property were purchased from the Sixth Reformed Church in 1973.
Shortly after the turn of the century, a major building and renovation program was begun.
The West Wing, a building of resident rooms and meeting facilities, was opened in
September 2001 as part of the program.
Renovations and upgrades have continued since then, resulting in a completely modern
facility that continues to meet the needs of today's seniors.